Free Meditation Classes UK
The Sri Chinmoy Centre has been offering free meditation classes in the UK for the past 35 years. These classes are offered to beginners and also those looking to deepen their own practise of meditation. Meditation courses are held throughout the year. For more information contact your nearest centre.
The type of meditation we offer focuses on the spiritual heart. Sri Chinmoy teaches that meditating on our spiritual heart is an effective way of quietening the mind and identifying with the expansive qualities meditation gives us.
If we practise meditation regularly, we can begin to experience the benefits of meditation. These include improved concentration and peace of mind. Effective meditation will also bring more inner happiness and inner peace, qualities that are not dependent on outer circumstances.
At Sri Chinmoy's request, the classes are free and are provided as a Community service.
Meditation classes in the British Isles
Why do we meditate?
by Sri Chinmoy
"If we want any real peace, real joy, real love, then we have to meditate. The so-called peace we feel in our day-to-day lives is five minutes of peace after ten hours of anxiety, worry and frustration. But that is no peace at all. We are at the mercy of the monkeys around us — jealousy, fear, doubt, worries, anxiety and despair. The monkeys take rest for a few minutes, and then we say that we are enjoying peace. But no, it is only that monkeys are tired of biting us. The next moment all the negative monkey-forces will attack us again.
We get divine peace through meditation. Even if we meditate for fifteen minutes and get peace for only one minute, that one minute of peace, if it is solid peace, will be able to permeate our whole day." 1
- Meditation section at Sri Chinmoy Centre
How to meditate | How to stay inspired | Meditation Music downloads | Meditation exercises
- Reflections on Meditation
Janaka Spence, a member of the Edinburgh Sri Chinmoy Centre, writes about his experiences of meditation.
- Experiences of meditation by Tejvan Pettinger
Tejvan talks about some of his experiences learning to meditate under the guidance of Sri Chinmoy
About Our Meditation Classes
- An opportunity to learn the basics of relaxation, concentration and meditation.
- In our courses, we explain what meditation is and how to meditate. But, above all it is about the opportunity to experience meditation for yourself and deepen your own practise.
- Learn how to make meditation part of a life long process.
- There is no need to bring anything, just yourself!
- The classes are free and provided as a community service.
- The meditation classes are based on the spiritual teachings of Sri Chinmoy, but no particular belief system is required.
- The classes are aimed at beginners to meditation, but anyone looking to gain new inspiration for their meditation is welcome to come along.
- To find out about our next classes, kindly just fill in this Meditation Contact form
Flute music by Sri Chinmoy
Sri Chinmoy is an accomplished musician who specialises in offering meditative performances. This flute music will help create a meditative atmosphere, no matter how noisy your surroundings!
Books for meditation
222 Meditation Techniques offers a broad selection of meditation exercises by Sri Chinmoy which will be helpful for anyone wishing to start or further their meditation practice.
The 222 exercises, laid out in an accessible simple format, are suitable for both beginners and experienced meditators. They include breathing exercises, guided meditations and the use of mantras. It also includes meditations for runners, artists and musicians. There are also exercises to try and overcome bad habits and cultivate more gratitude in your life.
Meditation Techniques Available at Amazon UK
- Meditation section at Sri Chinmoy Centre (global)
- Meditation experiences - videos about meditation (Sri Chinmoy TV)
- Meditation Books
- Meditation Music at Radio Sri Chinmoy